Good morning! I wanted to give an update on my progress. Training is going great and I feel fantastic and I am so looking forward to Memphis. It's hard to believe that the race is less than 3 weeks away. I will definitely be posting pictures on Facebook, so stay tuned. Wish me luck and God bless each and everyone of you! I can't say thank you enough times to my family and to all my wonderful friends who continue to support me in this very important personal cause. You amaze me, but you all are amazing and I am so humbled by the total to the left.
Love to all,
I hope this note finds everyone happy and well. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and what better way to celebrate but to donate to St. Jude. Chuck and I are kicking off a personal challenge to everyone! We will match donations that are made, up to a total of $2,000.00. That would mean $4,000.00 for St. Jude's. How exciting that would be.
On a personal note, training is going well, but mostly inside on my treadmill. With fall around the corner, I'll be able to run outside and not have to deal with the roller coaster ride this summer's weather has been. They’ve changed the course a bit this year with a few more hills. Luckily, New Windsor doesn’t lack any hills. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers to give me strength to accomplish my goal.
Let me start by thanking each and every one of you for all that you’ve done to help me accomplish last year’s goal for the kids at St. Jude. With your help, I was able to raise over $6,000.00 combined with the two ½ marathons I ran. We’re kicking this year’s campaign off with a personal pledge to St. Jude for $3,000.00. My personal goal, is to double that and raise $6,000.00. More importantly, I know that that money is going directly to a hospital and organization that I fully support. Childhood cancer, unfortunately, has touched many of our families and so many lives. With every dollar donated to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital counts and helps families do what they need to do and be with their children and not worry about the cost of treatments!
Take a look at some of the possibilities that your effort could provide to the kids and families of St. Jude:
•Infant Care Supplies for 10 Babies: $50These supplies help parents and nurses care for babies in treatment and include items like diapers, baby bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers, footies and heel warmers.
• Wagon: $70Wagons can make traveling through the halls of St. Jude easier for parents and more fun for a young child.
• Parties to celebrate birthdays, holidays and "coming off chemo": $75St. Jude provides parties, decorations, cakes and more to keep spirits high during the holidays and to celebrate special occasions like birthdays and a child's completion of chemotherapy treatment.
• Creative Toys: $100Play is an essential part of every child's life, and it's important for the children to have fun as often as possible. At St. Jude, colorful, toy-filled play areas are just as plentiful as exam rooms.
• Delicious Meals: $210St. Jude provides meal cards so that patients and families can enjoy the comfort and convenience of good, nutritious meals in the Kay Kafe, our cafeteria.
• One Day of Oxygen: $447Oxygen is key to keeping the immune system strong. A gift of oxygen can help a young body thrive and help fight cancer at the cellular level.
• Child-sized Wheelchairs: $700These special wheelchairs help children move easily through St. Jude.
The possibilities are endless, but hopefully that gives you a little insight into where your donation will be used.
So, now I’m asking you to please take a moment and pray over what you might be able to do to help support this great hospital. When others ask what is an appropriate amount to donate, my first response is always, “whatever you feel that you can give – no amount is too small.” If you are looking for a starting point, I would suggest an amount of $13, a dollar for each mile I will run. This is an awesome way to show your support to the cause, and a great tie in to both the hospital and the race that supports the hospital.
I realize that everyone is at different places financially and not everyone is ready to give, and that is completely ok. I would still like to ask that you help support me in prayer and encouragement.
Please keep in mind that your donation is tax deductible, and your generosity will play a role in the efforts to find a cure and hopefully end childhood cancer. While running in last year’s ½ marathon and through the campus of St. Jude, you just get a glimpse of the love, hope and encouragement from all the families with cheers, high fives, but mostly their smiles. You just want to stop and hug each and every one of them and tell them it is going to be okay, but we all know that that isn’t the case for everyone. Being part of St. Jude is indescribable and I know together we will make a difference in so many lives now and in the future.
I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your love and support, but most importantly, for helping the children and families of St. Jude!
All my love, Ginger