Last year, my esteemed colleague Brian Hoover took the initiative to get Nimble Storage to sponsor the St Jude Memphis Marathon. I was smart enough to avoid actually running, and lucky enough to attend the sponsor dinner after the event where I heard about the mission of St Jude directly from parents whose children had undergone treatment there. Some of their kids were thriving, others were not so fortunate. But in all cases, the parents were so thankful for the experience they had at St Jude. As a parent of two young daughters, as I listened to the parents describe the impact of this organization, all I kept thinking as I tried to hold back tears (super manly tears, don't judge me) was "man if I'm ever in their shoes I will thank god that St Jude is around". So this year, given that Nimble Storage has been acquired by Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and I've been lucky enough to take on an executive role in the combined company, we have the opportunity to step up our support of the mission. HPE Storage will be a gold sponsor at the race this year, and we are considering this marathon the kick off to our division's partnership with St Jude Children's Research Hospital. Apparently I got dumber over the course of the year, because this year Brian talked me into actually running. (Just 5k, and I was promised a beer tent at the end.) I've set this up as a team so if anyone wants to join the team and run too, I'd love the company!
HPE Employees: once you donate please go to https://hpe.benevity.org/user to request the HPE 100% matching donation.
1. Upon log in, select the “Quick Links” tab
2. Select “Request a Match” from the drop-down menu options
3. Search for St Jude, in the search bar and click “+Add”
4. Complete the form, attaching your donation/tax receipt
5. Enter "Please apply to the HPE Storage Memphis Marathon Team fund"
6. Submit the form, which will be queued for approval by an administrator
I'm choosing to run for more than myself. I'm using my running to help save kids' lives by fundraising for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as I train. I'm running for kids who might be too sick to run today, but who could one day be running alongside me because the money I raised helped find a cure for childhood cancer.
- Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food -- because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
- Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20% to more than 80% since it opened more than 50 years ago. St. Jude won't stop until no child dies from cancer.
Please donate and help me reach my goal!